The 4th Privacy&Us Training Event will take place in London from June 18th to June 21st. The event is hosted by University College London (UCL), and organized by Emiliano De Cristofaro.
|Monday, 18th June 2018|
|Tuesday, 19th June 2018|
|Wednesday, 20th une 2018|
|Thursday, 21st June 2018|
If you don’t have Eduroam, please connect to UCL Guest, then:
Open a web browser, navigate to any web page
Click on Self-Service
Enter your details, the “event code” is XXX (TBA)
Click generate account, your username and password will be displayed and emailed to you
University College London
Roberts Engineering Building, Room 4.22 (4th floor, follow signs)
Malet Place, London WC1E 6BT, https://goo.gl/maps/rxUoWej3u372
(Note that Google Maps has it as UCL Mechanical Engineering)
London is easily accessible with several international airports within a 40/65 miles/kilometers radius, and a large network of transportation services (trains, buses, underground, etc). A complete list of public transportation options is available at tfl.gov.uk or citymapper.com, and of course via Google Maps.
Getting to London by plane. There are a number of airports at a reasonable distance from central London including Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Luton, and Stansted. The busiest airport is London Heathrow (LHR), conveniently located 15 minutes from central London (via the Heathrow Express train to London Paddington). A cost-effective route from Heathrow to the center is via the London Underground (Tube), with journey times of 50–60 minutes. For more details and all options, please see here.
Getting to London by train. London is connected by train via Paris and Brussels, through the Eurostar. Journeys take around 2 hours. The National Rail network connects London to a number of cities and towns in the UK, see rail.co.uk
Moving around London. Buses and the London Underground (Tube) are by far the most common means of transportation within the Greater London Area. Please visit tfl.gov.uk for maps and route planning. Note that cash is no longer accepted on buses and essentially the only way to pay on public transport is through a contactless card: the Oyster card, a contactless bank card, or Apple/Google Pay. You can purchase and top up Oyster cards in any station. When using contactless, remember to touch in and out, using the same card, except on buses (where only touch in is needed). Most non-UK contactless cards are accepted (see the TFL web site for more details). Alternatively, Travelcards are available and they can also be purchased at any station, although they are more expensive. Taxis and other door-to-door transport services such as Uber are common, although it might be advisable to avoid them during peak time or plan journeys in advance (traffic is bad in central London).
Nearby Tube stations. There are several Tube stations near (<10 mins walk) UCL: Goodge Street (Northern Line), Euston Square (Circle and Hammersmith), Warren Street and Euston (Victoria and Northern), Russell Square (Piccadilly), Tottenham Court Road (Central).
There are many places all around UCL to grab food. Here are some of our favorites. For most of them, reservation is preferred.
- The Japanese Canteen (Japanese), https://goo.gl/maps/Nbn9goyk1672 £
- Franco Manca (Italian Pizza), https://goo.gl/maps/2B5bm3jHXVB2 £
- Mestizo Restaurant & Tequila Bar (Mexican), https://goo.gl/maps/HH59uEzB3pp ££
- North Sea (Fancy Fish&Chips), https://goo.gl/maps/Uhm2ZswVxNw ££
- Busaba Eathai (Thai), https://goo.gl/maps/tM9JKPHXx272 ££
- Thai Metro (Thai), https://goo.gl/maps/t9GnFQkyTb22 ££
- Herman Ze German (Sausages), https://goo.gl/maps/t8B9x2y6iYT2 £
- Ragam (Indian), https://goo.gl/maps/rPNofRG8B2C2 ££
- Burger & Shake (American), https://goo.gl/maps/9WeXR1E2g7t ££
- VQ Bloomsbury (Burgers), https://goo.gl/maps/Ki2ZcqjVzeN2 ££
- Big Fernard (French Burgers), https://goo.gl/maps/dC7mTfm16C62 ££
- Massala Hut (Spicy Indian), https://goo.gl/maps/HaT4aj6yu4u ££
- The Life Goddess (Greek), https://goo.gl/maps/EZmzJgz9HTw ££
- Blooms Pizza Cafe (Pizza and Coffee), https://goo.gl/maps/1FcExcgZcPw £
- Hiba Street Food (Lebanese), https://goo.gl/maps/jjWgv7DJHqL2 ££
- Roti King (Chinese & Malaysian), https://goo.gl/maps/dJLbEiGMjXu ££
- The Savannah Bar & Restaurant (African, Asian), https://goo.gl/maps/3fmSYKJcXuz £££
- Pescatori (Italian/Fish), https://goo.gl/maps/z9vZ4iwMLF92 ££££
Short bus/tube ride:
- Sartori (Napolitan Pizza), Leicester Sq, https://goo.gl/maps/w1p9yZbKmq52 ££
- Punjab (Non-Spicy Indian), Covent Garden, https://goo.gl/maps/bkddw9ZctgN2 ££
- Ceviche (Peruvian), Soho, https://goo.gl/maps/mHmg9Mom1xo £££
- Iberica (Spanish Tapas), Marylebone, https://goo.gl/maps/4AsFBengGxE2 £££
Nearby (Recommended) Pubs
- Euston Tap, https://goo.gl/maps/xiDCe6YPp9T2